mardi 8 décembre 2009

Interview de Lazy Jay


Could you please introduce yourself?

Hi I'm Lazy Jay, I make tracks people dance to, or at least I try. That's the essence. The stuff has to work on the dancefloor. I live in Belgium, on the Dutch border.
That's about all what's interesting to know about me.
Oh yeah, and I don't smoke.



How did you get where you are now?

I just make these tracks to enjoy myself, to get the party started and the feet moving. Apparently, a lot of people seem to like it, because it all happened very naturally. Of course, it helps that dj's such as Tiësto gave full support right from the start.



What does your nickname mean and where did it come from?

It doesn't mean anything really, it just popped into my head and it sounded cool, just as the music I make haha.



Are you a radio presenter at Montreal House Radio ?

Eeuhh no.



How did you meet your label Big & Dirty ?

I know those guys since a long time, they are like 40 minutes from my place.



Do you agree with those who describe your music as minimal house ?

I don't really care what people call it, as long as it gets the hands in the air, I'm happy.
But it's quite funny how these days, a lot of guys try to be unique by labelling their music as a new (sub)genre.. That can't be the purpose of music.



Which tool do you use for producing your sounds ?

I work in Logic, and I use a wide variety of soft synths, hardware synths, and a lot of hardware distortion units, compressors etc to bring in the dirt.



How do you compose your sounds?

Usually I have an idea of what I want, and then I start experimenting trying to achieve that sound. But to be honest, a good part of the new sounds are "accidents" while trying to create something else. So go out and experiment, it's fun and you might get more than you bargained for.



How did the audience reply on your music?

Really cool from the beginning actually. As I said, Tiësto picked it up right away, so that got the ball rolling of course.



Could you give me a list of your current favorites tracks ?

Ok if you really want.. I really like the new Pixie Lott album, the new Jay-Z, Black Eyed Peas, John Mayer etc.
Indeed, I don't listen a whole lot of dance music when I'm not working. I think that keeps it fresh, and you never get influenced too much by the current trends.



What can we expect of you in the near future?

A few very interesting collabs and a some new solo releases, maybe an album next year.
Can't say a lot about it right now, but I guess I'll have an update for you by february.



If you have some final words to add, please do it here.

To all aspiring dance producers, don't try to copy stuff, be yourself, try to be fresh. Have fun while making music, it reflects in your tracks and your audience.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Membres